Friday, July 5, 2019

Revenge of the Jon: Dennis Rodman's Bodega Pt. 4

I think a lot of the times I think I am the sh*t but also I am a sh*t.

The name "Jonathan Nyles Whiting" often shortened to "Jon Whiting" is like the whole wheat bread of who I am that encases all of the meats, veggies, condiments. And it has been a good name to me, no matter who generic. Whenever I hear it from other people's mouths, Jonny feels good about it. It's not too crazy of a nomenclature but it gets the job done,

Yesterday Jon had my 18th run in Wyoming for the #runningjonchallenge. I had been feeling well about everything and the weather and atmosphere was perfect for me to get my sub-19 minute 5k. But the night before Jonny had drunk two beers, slept 4 hours that night, and didn't eat food the morning of. And for the first time since Boston in 2017, I stopped running during a race. Just didn't want to run anymore, stopped around the 2.3 mile mark. Only had to run 5 more minutes at that pace to get my post-college PR. But I stopped on the curb, teary eyes glued to the pavement, Jay-Z blasting through my headphones, hands on hips. Angry. To keep in mind I finished 8:20/mile pace and walked the entire last mile. All the way from the finish line to the Capitol Building.

--

When I started this challenge a few years ago, my goal was to run in every state before Jon turns 35 years-old. It was started from excitement, eagerness, and to fill a void. I lived in Portsmouth, Virginia and taught at a school and area I hated. Yes I mean hated. After the realization that "I didn't want to die sad in this sad place" this challenge was birthed. At that point in my life, I had only been out of college for a year and that 'glass half-empty' mentality was creeping in. Was Jon supposed to teach for 30 years then exist above this garage apartment saturated with roaches and owned by two Trump supporters who drunk Coors light all day? What do you tell a big-eyed 23 year-old at that point?

And it's been a miracle from that point; not just this challenge but my overall demeanor change back to wonderment of a child. I've been more intentional with almost every person and almost everything Jon does. Of course I have setbacks such as my Wyoming race. I did talk about with my mother and brother over our group chat. Like my Boston race, my mind was not invested in it.

Since July 2018, JODY has run in California, South Carolina, Michigan, Ohio, Wyoming, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Colorado. In to put into thought of me mentally preparing for this one thing for a few months with the anxiety I carry all the way through the race; the finances into transportation, lodging, racing fees; physically just pushing my body to finish at a certain time; it honestly does hurt. And if I am not putting in 100% effort into then ultimately I can't 100% enjoy it.

Now this is a challenge, challenges have setbacks. It won't be this exponential amazing time all the time. It's going to hurt, it's going to be difficult. But the support I've gotten from friends, family, and the Jons has been worth it. Jon was too proud to use a GoFundMe since it's not a life or death situation but link is at the bottom of the page. Can't do this alone. And aye, almost at halfway point, 9 years left. Let's get it,


GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/f/runningjonchallenge&rcid=r01-156234321375-3cc8d2ae194d49d8&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_w

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gentrifiedcornbread/

Image result for revenge of the dreamers 3
Writing this entry while listening to "Under the Sun" by Dreamville Records has put me in a good mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment