Sunday, November 22, 2020

A Bass Clarinet and Microwaved Totino’s

I rarely did I get in trouble growing up as a kid. It wasn’t really my tempo. I received a demerit once in 7th grade for forgetting my notebook and bawled my eyes out for 10 minutes until my teacher just told me to forget about it. The priority from 5th grade through the rest of grade school was to do the best I could but with minimal effort, so I had enough time to play video games. That’s it, cut, dried out, and laid out ready to sell on the market. That’s not have school works though apparently. Reminiscing on this past school year and my reentry to teaching had brought up my intentions and goals from when I was 13***. During in-person school I got pushed , shoved, insulted, teased, berated, cursed at, embarrassed, belittled. And I always wondered why? From 7th grade through high school I made my best efforts to not sit in the lunch room. The only time I met the principal (unless being acknowledged for being black and mild to win “student of the month”) was when the security guards thought my “FUBU” shirt was a gang-affiliated shirt. FYI it was the shirt Ludacris’ “Area Codes” video. But I had to consider, would Jon aka Nyles during during middle school and 1 year of high school fair well being online ? Consider the following: 1. Parents whooping me for the thought of failing a class (check) 2. Stable internet connection (well I used to use dial up for my Nintendo DS Lite so semicheck) 3. The intrinsic need to do well to do well and being able to read independently (check) 4. Shutting the frick up and getting my work done so I can go play Metroid Prime Hunters on my DS Lite until my godmother called, making me lose my connection? (Double check) I don’t think it’s fair to assume that it would go smoothly. Just a reminder of why the kiddos are even here in the first place. All the pain and tragedy that is going on isn’t fair. Some parents are right around my age and have been getting their butts handed to them. Some kids can’t even get food unless they get to school. I had all those resources growing up, so it is easy for me to sit and here and just flex because I just wanted to sit in the library and do homework before I got home. At the same time I have a lot of faith in kids, as I have to since I teach 7th grade. I want them to do well and succeed and no amount of takis or positive reinforcement or Tim Duncan school promos are going to help if they don’t have the right support system. And for now, I’ll be their Dollar Tree version of Ms. Frizzle
***The picture is showing me at the age of 13, celebrating my best friend’s 14th birthday party***

No comments:

Post a Comment